Another sleepless night, so again I turn to you, O Blog, since I have thought scenarios running through my head. Here's one such:
While writing one of my high school research papers, I was taken by the sound of the title sentence above, and included it in my paper. Not wanting to be caught up in a plagiarism issue, I thoroughly researched the meaning of the word propitious, though no question was ever raised. During my freshman year of college, I took a beginning French course, not realizing the other students in the class were not unfamiliar with French, just trying for an easy A in an already familiar language. I had no issue with that, but I certainly did not volunteer to answer any questions the professor asked. Except once. While reading some selection of literature, he asked if anyone knew the definition of the word propitious. No one answered. Except me. It hadn't to do with French, but I answered the question. He said I had a good vocabulary. Yay.
Years later, when I worked at Herkimer BOCES, a guest speaker, author of a number of books, happened to stop her lecture and inquire if anyone knew what propitious meant. No one answered, except me. She announced to the class that I had a good vocabulary.
So if anyone would like to be complimented on word meanings, be ready to reply with the meaning of propitious. You never know when it might be helpful.
N.B. An apt synonym begins with the letter O.
No comments:
Post a Comment